Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cupcakes Shmupcakes















I like to think that I am not slave to the latest trends, but as per usual, how I view myself does not always fare well when held up to the mirror of reality. For example, I have, on more than one occasion, been tempted to get a FauxHawk haircut...tempted but not (yet) convinced. And speaking of hair trends, I admit that in the 80's I did sport a Mullet for several months (no, I do not have a picture handy, and, no, I am not going to search for one either.)

Similarly, I think that my choice of clothes is fairly steady (monotonous may be another way of looking at it...plaid shirts/jeans), though I once did purchase a really nice pair of cool grey Capri pants. I was sure I looked at least passable in them (despite Nik's protestations anytime I tried to wear them in public), until I saw a tall, athletic black man wearing the same pants...he looked good (very good) in them, I looked goofy...thus the Capri's were quickly donated to Value Village. Yes, I have succumbed to the piercing fad on three occasions...meaning I have willingly agreed (and even paid) to host a year-long infection (twice) followed by a moment of "this is ridiculous" and a quick jewelry extraction.
I have not been tattooed, and don't think that I will...famous last words. Other examples of trends/mob psychology I would like to think that I could resist include: a) ripping my shirt off, donning a goofy hat/wig/costume and running up a hill after Tour de France riders, b) becoming really, really muscular...no fear of that, and c) Rap music. Time will tell.

Certainly these examples are all superficial. Hair grows. Clothes can be changed/donated/burned. Radio stations can be changed. As far as the more important decisions in life, if decisions is even the correct word, I hope that I am trend-free. Some examples of decades-old/unchanging beliefs: bleeding-heart liberal; religion-tolerant/religion-curious - though not a believer in a prayer-listening deity; empirical humanist; fact freak. It is my hope (and belief) that even were I to get that FauxHawk next time I visit Supercuts, these core principles/traits would not change.

I don't mean to imply that all trends are negative or ridiculous. Bell-bottom pants...nothing wrong with them. Facebook, I am a participant and check it daily. Blogging. So it was with an open-mind that I knowingly turned down the acuity on my trend-radar and baked cupcakes for two events recently. Cupcakes are very trendy right now. There are bakeries, cookbooks, blogs, and equipment devoted exclusively to cupcakes. Yes, admittedly, they are cute, easy to serve, and easy to frost...but I think that the "Nick At Night Principle" is also responsible for some of their popularity. You know how that goes, we all had cupcakes when we were kids, and even though they are hard to eat and sometimes kinda dry, they are a part of growing up, so when we see cupcakes we remember and experience an "awww" moment...just like when we watch The Mary Tyler Moore Show or The Munsters. Some trends become legendary (e.g. cupcakes, ABBA), others become kitsch (e.g. pink flamingo lawn ornaments, shag rugs), and others seem to simply fade away (e.g. Beanie Babies, parachute pants).
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Sour Cream..................1/2 cup
Cocoa Powder..............2 Tbl
Baking soda.................1 tsp
Red Food Coloring.........1 Tbl
Boiling Water...............1 cup
Cake Flour...................3 cups
Salt...........................1/2 tsp
Baking Powder..............1 1/2 tsp
Eggs..........................5
Vanilla Ex....................1 1/2 tsp
Butter, softened............6 oz
Dark Brown Sugar...........2 1/2 cups
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Whisk together the sour cream, cocoa, baking soda, food coloring. Gradually add the boiling water, whisking until smooth.
3. Soft together the flour, salt and baking powder.
4. In a small bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla.
5. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs gradually, scraping as needed.
6. Lower the mixer speed and add the flour mixture (in 3 parts) and the liquid mixture (in 2 parts), alternating. Mix until evenly incorporated.
7. Fill papered cupcake tins 2/3 full. Bake 20-25 minutes.


Devil's Food Cupcakes
AP Flour.......................1 3/4 cups
Cornstarch....................4 1/2 Tbl
Baking Powder...............1 tsp
Baking Soda...................1/2 tsp
Cocoa Powder................1 1/4 cups
Salt.............................1 tsp
Butter..........................8 oz
Sugar...........................2 3/4 cups
Eggs............................5
Buttermilk....................1 1/4 cups
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Sift together the dry ingredients.
3. Cream the butter and sugar, adding the sugar slowly once the butter has become creamy.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping as needed.
5. On Low Speed, add the flour mixture (3 parts) and the buttermilk (2 parts), alternating. Scrape the bowl as needed, mixing just until thoroughly combined.
6. Fill papered cupcake tins 2/3 full. Bake 20-25 minutes.


White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese, room temp............24 oz
Butter, room temp.......................3 oz
White Chocolate.........................9 oz
Powdered Sugar..........................Approx 2 cups
1. Melt white chocolate, then let set until at room temp.
2. Beat cream cheese until smooth, add the butter and beat until combined.
3. Add the cooled white chocolate and beat until combined.
4. Add enough powered sugar to achieve the consistency you want.

Decorations: It was Keej's birthday so I piped out a bunch of "K"s in royal icing, covered them with brightly colored nonpariels, let them dry, then put them on the cupcakes at the party. Next time I would make the letters a bit bigger, and a bit taller (two coats of royal icing) so they were more prominent.

No comments: