Monday, June 1, 2009

Tart, Tart, Happy Tart


We spent the last few days in Disneyland, which everyone knows (and not just because it says so on the sign) is the happiest place on earth. And I have to agree, I can't deny it -- I just think it might be this planet's happiest place...though the dozens/hundreds of parents who were screaming at their screaming children may choose to differ. (Geez, what are they thinking bringing children to Disneyland?) And, somewhat disturbingly, The Keej found that the women's restrooms at Disneyland seem to be consistently and permanently inhabited by unhappy people. Some of the quotes from the Disney women's rooms, as reported by The Keej: "Why did you wait so long to tell me you had to go, NOW WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?" "If you don't start acting better WE ARE GOING TO LEAVE RIGHT NOW." "STOP CRYING, SIT THERE, AND GO!" and "Mom, are you okay, do you need any supplies?" I'm not sure that last quote was from an unhappy person, but it was surely disturbing and thought provoking.

We did not have any children with us (speaking strictly chronologically), so we had a great time...the rides, the people watching, the silliness of it all. We wore ourselves out, which we always do when on vacation. We work harder at playing than we do at almost anything else, including work. I come home from a 3-day vacation more tired than I do after a week at work, which is not to say that we are slackers at work, not at all. But laughing is exhausting. And roller coasters, and thrills, and people, and vacations all make me laugh.

Every time we stepped off a roller coaster, or a water ride, or some other death-defying contraption, we were laughing. I, for one, laughed heartily and nonstop during numerous trips through Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, and The Tower of Terror. I didn't scream, I laughed. And not my typical (and admittedly, less-than-masculine) giggle, no, it was a full, honest, roaring belly-laugh. And it felt so good. Yes, we walked what seemed like miles through Adventureland, Tomorrowland, and all the other lands of Mr. Disney's imagination, but I think what caused me to fall asleep immediately upon hitting the pillow each night was that deep contentment and relaxation that comes from genuine, primal laughter.
There are some other things that give me a similar sense of well-being. In no particular order, they include Mr. Mayor's face, and all of our dogs in general...


Of course, there is Nik, without whom Disneyland and every other place wouldn't be quite as good...

Good food is definitely on the list of sigh-inducing events...
The view from our back porch, monsoon clouds, and dramatic sunsets give me that feeling...
A sense of accomplishment, the act of creating, and certain passages from Puccini can make me stop and appreciate the moment. Certainly baking makes me happy.

Remembering and reliving past moments of joy and laughter can often bring back those same feelings all over again.

And as much as I may try to act my age, being goofy really does make me feel good.
One of my favorite moments in one of my favorite movies comes toward the end of Woody Allen's Manhattan. He is talking into a tape recorder, brainstorming ideas for a short story, and he lapses into some stream of consciousness wandering..."Well, all right, why is life worth living? That's a very good question. Um. Well, there are certain things I - I guess that make it worthwhile. Uh, like what? Okay, um, for me...oh, I would say...what, Groucho Marx, to name one thing...uh, ummmm, and Willie Mays, and um, uh, the second movement of the Jupiter Symphony, and ummm...Louie Armstrong's recording of "Potatohead Blues"...ummm, Swedish movies, naturally...Sentimental Education by Flaubert...uh, Marlon Brando, Frank sinatra...ummm, those incredible apples and pears by Cezanne...uh, the crabs at Sam Wo's...uh, Tracy's face."

Just reading those lines makes me sigh and smile. Which is also what I did when I saw the beautiful, ripe apricots at the grocery store the other day. They were almost glowing, their color was so intense. I had to buy them. As it turned out, they were a bit tart - as many of my coworkers told me after devouring the Apricot Frangipane Tarts that I had made with them. Some appreciated the tartness while others said it made them pucker. (Dwight said they made his eyes water...I called him a wuss.) I didn't get a piece, so I couldn't judge either way, but just having those apricots in my kitchen for a little while, on the day before going to Disneyland, made me happy.
Apricot-Frangipane Tart
CRUST
AP Flour..................................2 cups
Sugar.....................................1 Tbl
Salt.......................................1/2 tsp
Butter....................................6 oz, cubed, chilled
Ice Water................................6 Tbl
Vanilla Ex................................1/4 tsp
1. In food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt.
2. Add the butter and pulse into mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add water and vanilla, and pulse until it just comes together.
4. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic, and chill at least one hour.
5. Roll to appropriate size for tart pan, 1/4-inch thick. Chill 20 minutes.
6. Line with foil, fill with pie weights or dry beans, and bake 50 minutes at 350. Remove foil and beans and bake additional 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool.
FILLING
Almond Meal................................3/4 cup
Butter........................................4 oz
Vanilla Bean.................................half, seeds scraped
Powdered Sugar............................1 3/4 cup
AP Flour......................................3/4 cup
Salt...........................................1 tsp
Eggs..........................................4
Almond Ex...................................1/4 tsp
Fresh Apricots...............................9-10, halved
1. In skillet, brown the butter with the vanilla seeds.
2. In food processor, pulse the almond meal with the sugar, flour, salt.
3. Add the eggs and pulse until combined.
4. Add the butter and almond extract and pulse until smooth.
5. Pour filling into tart shells, not quite to the rim.
6. Place the apricot halves on the filling in concentric circles.
7. Bake at 325 for 60-70 minutes, until the filling is golden and set.


No comments: